13 April 2014

Sticking to the shade on a hot April day

This morning we started early from East Fort in Hout Bay. Pauline and the Alf took a car to the other end, while we waited for Sue and Honey to arrive - which they did - bringing Kate with them. We were happy to see Kate and Lad tried to stand on his head as he does when he is ecstatically happy (most of the time) but just rolled over.
They kindly supply Free Poo Bags here.
It was already hot - and the sky was cloudy in funny patterns.
We walked up to the Hoeriquagga Trail path,
two black dogs together again. Just look how happy Honey was to see us!
But Sue wasn't feeling well, and as it was quite hot, she and Honey decided to turn back so we watched them walking back to the cars. Never mind, next time we will be two black dogs for longer.
Kate watching Sue and Honey safely back to their car, with Hout Bay in the background.
Some pale Autumn Painted Ladies (Gladiolus brevifolius) against the silvery foliage.
Tea overlooking Hout Bay - me, the Alf, Pauline, the Lad and Kate.
Thanks Kate for the new biscuits - and Sue for the Suebiscuits. (Managed to snaffle some crumbs.) The Food Lady also enjoyed the dates from Pauline and the ice-cold lemonade from Kate. 
We were still in the early morning shade but the sun was beginning to creep further and further up towards us, and the clouds just melted away.
Suitably refreshed and rehydrated, we set off again for Blackburn Ravine ...
hello Hot Chocolate Protea (actually really a Black Bearded Sugarbush (Protea lepidocarpodendron).
Hello Erica abietina susp. atrorosea.
and hello water! Lots of puddles on the mountain for hot scots to cool off in.
Then suddenly, the shade ran out and we had to walk out into the hot hot hot sun.
Pauline coming out into the sun. You can sort of see the path where we had come from high up in the shade of the background.
Checking out the toll booth far below - that makes the Food Lady even hotter under the collar to think about.
The Lad coped well with his first long, hot walk. He is quite a good natured guy these days, and I must say I am warming to him. Sometimes.
Some nodules from a Brunia noduliflora,
and growing in a cool, damp ravine where we stopped for a cool-down, were a few Guernsey Lilies (Nerine sarniensis),  
and some pretty Indigofera shrubs - possibly I. cytisoides.

and lots of fragrant Pylica buxifolia. Pauline and I waxing lyrical about the flowers and the cool water while the lad tries to fall over the edge.
Still a long way down,
but more lovely cold mountain water to drink and dip in!
Growing in the rocks of the path down to Chapmans Peak Drive were lots of pale pink Oxalis flowers - maybe Oxalis caprina - but we were too hot to check.
Glad to get home to the cool floor for us, and some cider for the Food Lady, and a G&T for the Alph,
made with Angostura Bitters, which, we were interested to read, were made in Trinidad and bottled in Canada where Kate comes from. 
We were quite tired, but not tired enough to stop barking at the neighbours and having a good scrounge in the garden for ...

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am surprised you can do much moving, let alone toad hunting after that big walk!!