16 March 2009

Not quite Scotty walking weather

Feeling a bit down - humans been away, I am full of fleas, it is HOT and I know that Sue is going away for a month, as is Paul, and Lucy is working so hard that Sundays are now stay-at-home-and recover days and life is just a bit bleak. Then to cap it all, they BATHED us - horror. Still getting my dignity back into shape. The one bright thing on the horizon is ALICE. The above photo shows ALICE, Thea and Sue heading up Steenberg peak at the start of last Sunday's HOT walk. The Alpha Male (with me on the lead still!) and Paul were high up ahead, and the Foodlady and her camera at the back as usual. Dougal saw a rottweiler and said to it "I am a bigger rottweiler than you!" which they usually laugh at but this one didn't have much of a sense of humour and laid into Dougal, but luckily the owner had him on a lead and pulled him off. The funny thing is that Dougal was all perky after that and didn't seem to notice the heat.


Named after the great and wonderful Edmund I wonder? This is Edmondia sesamoides with just the white bracts left.




We managed to get up to the Fat Lady's Shelter for tea, but the Foodlady forgot to take a photo of us as I think her mind is still in the Eastern Cape where they went without us.

Then we headed down and doubled back again, past some lovely cool rocky passageways and overhangs, to where we had slogged up an hour or so earlier. I just gave up and the Alpha Male had to carry me down. It was only half past nine and already about 40 degrees.

Lets hope next Sunday is better. I envy Sue who is heading off to cold and windy England.




Cape fellwort Saltera sarcostemma. What the Foodlady calls the scoobeedoo plant. Also called the vlieebos in Afrikaans which means "fly bush" but I think it actually means FLEA bush which is appropriate to our sorry, flea-ridden state at the moment.


Argiope australis a lovely orb web spider at the bottom of the mountain. Waiting to get Dougal on his mad sorties into the bush!

No comments:

Post a Comment