28 August 2015

Holiday to KZN

Here are some reflections from the Food Lady on her and the Alph's holiday to KZN (without us) ...
"It was difficult to say goodbye to you both - but we knew Leticia would look after you well.
Tammy all grown up and off to the ball.
Snoop Dog met us at Wana Farm
and took us on a guided tour.
Gilly with her herd of jerseys (strictly out of bounds for chasing).
Mary in the middle of the cow's feed.
A Muscovy Duck.
We walked up Inhlosane - first obtaining permission from the hotel staff of The Everglades.
Rugged, intrepid conquerors of Inhlosane.
Beers with the locals afterwards.
Tikki the fox-lookalike hunting for reedbuck on our evening walk round Pipkin Farm.
Mavis who makes the most delicious Jersey milk cream.
The Alph joined Wyndham and Gilly on a gruelling mountain bike ride,
but I stayed behind and relaxed with the dogs
and watched some spotted-backed Village Weavers weaving their nests.
Late afternoon walkies with Gambit the elderly Airdale.
Next stop was Thendele camp in the Drakensberg where we were met at our chalet by this friendly Chorister Robin-chat.
No dogs allowed here as there are lots of wild animals around - including some Grey Rheboks
that, judging by the bushman paintings nearby, have been around here for quite a while.
We walked up to the Policeman's Helmet rock,
and saw some Drakensberg Cycads (Encephalartos ghellinckii) clinging on the rock face
as well as some pretty Geraniums - possibly G. wakkerstroomianum.
We also walked up the Thukela Gorge right to the end.
Micky (mother of several intrepid Jack Russels and a Ridgeback who were also left at home) and the Alph with the Amphitheatre in the background.  
And especially for you Coco - baboons!
On Thursday we had to leave Thendele and head for the dermatology conference at Champagne Castle Sports Resort - Micky left early,
and we stopped en route for coffee with a House Sparrow at the Pig and Plough in Winterton.
This is Bobby who showed us to our hut at Inkosana Lodge,
which consisted of a rondavel en suite, surrounded by beautiful gardens, views of Cathkin Peak and
wild grasslands filled with amazing flowers and wildlife,
and some domestic life too.
Louise and Richard were there for the conference and joined us for some walks,
and a visit to a nursery to buy aloes for Gilly's garden. This is another crazy Jack Russell who was intent on killing the wheelbarrow.
On the last day we walked up to the Sphinx with Richard and Louise,
past lots of proteas that grow here. I think this was a Protea roupelliae.
Then is started to rain and thunder and lightning forced us to turn back.
We thought about taking another route down, but were a bit daunted by the prospect of vicious dogs waiting for us at the bottom!
We said goodbye to Richard and Louise, and went back to Wana Farm where Gilly gave us tea and Scottie biscuits from Scotland.
We met their new calf - a few days old -
who will join Gilly's Jersey herd.
Then is was back to Durban airport, and home to you two. "

No comments:

Post a Comment